Keir Hardie Work Week – 27th November – 1st December 2017
This was our school’s 5th Work Week. All children from Nursery to Y6 participated in the week which aims to:
- Develop children’s awareness of the world of work and work-related concepts and vocabulary.
- Increase understanding of the variety of occupations and roles, and help prevent stereotypes around gender and cultural suitability for particular jobs.
- Help demonstrate the links between learning in school and success in adult life.
- Develop children’s financial capability from a young age and increase understanding of why people earn and save money.
- Develop children’s sense of responsibility and their skills for co-operation, enterprise and problem solving.
- Develop parent/ carers awareness of the world of work.
Each year group has focused on a different work-related theme and participated in daily classroom sessions, in-school workshops with world of work visitors and visits to local workplaces. 15billion-ebp supported the week by briefing teachers, providing detailed lesson plans, resources and props for the children and organising the input of a wide range of employers.
DLR employees visited the Nursery to talk to pupils about working on the DLR. Nursery also had a visit from the Safer Neighbourhood Police team to talk about the role of Community Police Officers
Pupils were visited by workers from Billingsgate Fish Market, and had workshops with West Ham mentors. Reception also ran a cafe, selling juice and cakes to parents and serving them at their tables!
Pupils visited Tesco in Bromley-By-Bow and were visited in school by the Safer Neighbourhood Police
Pupils learned about different job roles which help the community and work in the role of 999 operators. They were visited by the Ambulance Service and visited Plaistow Fire Station
Pupils visited the Bank of England Museum
Pupils visited London City Airport
Pupils visited the Museum of London Docklands and did a workshop with Building Futures
Year 6 – Dragon’s Den
Pupils were given a workshop on presentation skills